|The honey syrup after being simmered…It will thicken as it cools.|
|Melted butter with brush
(I used a brand new paint brush because it was nice and thick and covered the phyllo quickly before it dried out).
|One pound of filling ingredients
(I used 1 cup walnuts, 1 cup pecans, and 1 cup dates).
|Brushing the bottom layers with butter
|Sprinkling the nuts over the brushed butter
|Another view after sprinkling the nuts;
You don’t need to completely cover each layer because as you add layers, the space will eventually fill up for each piece.
|The cut Baklava before being put into the oven.
Only cut to within 1/2 inch to the bottom.
(This will prevent the honey syrup from sinking to the base of the pan after it is baked).
|A close-up view of the pastry before being baked
|Out of the oven;
The top layer should be lightly golden and not burnt.
If you do happen to burn the top, just remove the affected layers before pouring the syrup over.
|The finished product:
The honey syrup has been poured and allowed to seep between the layers. The Baklava has been cut all the way through after cooling.
|Place the Baklava in double-lined cupcake liners.
This prevents it from getting soggy in the pan.
- 1 (16 oz.) package phyllo dough
- 16 oz. chopped nuts
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup honey
- Begin by making honey syrup. Combine water and sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Add vanilla and honey and simmer for 20 minutes over medium-low heat. Remove from heat and cool in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Heat the oven to 325 degrees. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Combine the nuts, sugar, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Unroll phyllo dough. Layer two sheets phyllo in the pan, one on top of another. Immediately cover remaining phyllo dough with a sheet of plastic wrap and a damp towel on top of the plastic wrap. This will keep the dough from drying out between layering.
- Brush the dough with melted butter. Layer 6 more sheets of phyllo dough on top, brushing with butter on every other layer. (Remember to cover the unused dough with the wrap and towel).
- Sprinkle about ¼ cup chopped nuts over the buttered dough.
- Place two more sheets phyllo dough over the nuts. Brush with butter. Sprinkle with more chopped nuts. Continue layering: 2 sheets phyllo, brushed butter, nuts, until there are 8 sheets of phyllo left.
- Brush every other sheet of the remaining 8 phyllo sheets with butter. Butter top layer.
- Cut the Baklava into 24 squares, to within ½ inch of the bottom of the pan.
- Bake for 55 minutes, or until top layer is lightly golden. Remove from heat and immediately spoon honey syrup evenly over Baklava. Cool several hours before cutting all the way through.
- Place each piece in a double-lined cupcake wrapper and store uncovered to keep the Baklava moist.