|Vanilla Bean Sugar Cookie Cake|
|Can you tell I like sprinkles?|
|Just look at all the vanilla bean specks!
By the way, you can never have too much frosting!
Three weeks ago I posted a wonderful recipe for Lofthouse Sugar Cookie Bars.I adored these bars so much, I made them in a smaller pan with extra vanilla and called it Lofthouse Sugar Cookie Cake.
Everyone who has tried the bars and cake so far has LOVED them. Even my husband, who is not a big fan of frosting, helped our family devour these treats.
Not being one to settle for perfection, I switched up the recipe one more time. This go-around, I added one more egg to the cake for volume and used vanilla beans instead of the vanilla extract in both the cake and frosting. (I also made the frosting “princess purple” at the request of my daughter). The result? I now have developed the EXTREME sugar cookie cake. It is tall, moist, vanilla-loving, sugar-cookie-licking goodness. (I’m talking “I should be ashamed of how many pieces I ate” goodness). I think I’ll stop here though, because I don’t want to mess around too much with perfection. 😉
- For the Vanilla Bean Sugar Cookie Cake:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 8 oz. block cream cheese, softened
- 1&1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 vanilla beans, scraped
- 2 large eggs
- 2&1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- For the Fluffy White Frosting:
- ½ cup shortening
- 3&3/4 cups powdered sugar (1 1b. box)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- several drops red and blue food coloring
- ¼ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 inch cake pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter, cream cheese, and sugar until smooth and fluffy. Add the vanilla beans and eggs and beat well.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and baking soda, mixing until well combined.
- Spread mixture evenly onto prepared pan. (Mixture will be very sticky). Bake for 28 minutes or until golden brown around edges and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool and frost.
- For the Fluffy White Frosting: In a large bowl, beat together all ingredients using whisk attachment. Beat until light and fluffy, at least 5 minutes.
- Spread frosting on cooled cake. Top with choice of sprinkles.