Crab cakes are one of those recipes I have always wanted to try but was afraid to. I found this one on Taste of Home online and modified it slightly to make it healthier. They were much simpler to make than I originally thought, and my husband thoroughly enjoyed them.
- ½ cup seasoned bread crumbs, divided
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1 large egg yolk, beaten
- 2 Tablespoons fat free miracle whip
- 1&1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1 (6 oz.) can crabmeat, drained well
- 1 Tablespoon whipped butter
- In a small bowl, combine 3 scant Tablespoons breadcrumbs, chopped onion, egg yolk, miracle whip, lemon juice, garlic powder, Old Bay seasoning, and crabmeat. Form into four 2-inch balls.
- Roll balls in remaining bread crumbs until well coated. Pat into round patties.
- Heat small skillet over medium flame. Add whipped butter and spread to cover bottom of skillet. Add crab cakes. Cook first side for 3 minutes. Flip, lower heat to medium-low flame, and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes until done.